Portland are recognized experts on all things fuel. Set up in the UK in 2009 by James Spencer, Portland began as a specialized fuel hedging provider, offering budgetary certainty to companies with an exposure to movements in the price of fuel.
Ten years on and we are still the same team of dedicated professionals who have bought, sold, transported and stored fuel for most – or all – of our careers.
We now operate our North American business from our offices in Hamilton, Ontario, providing Canadian and US customers fuel advisory services, in addition to our original fixed price fuel offering.
Our aim remains as it was 10 years ago – to help our customers make sense of oil and energy markets, as we continually strive to create stability from volatility.
- Portland sets up tin-pot offices above a van hire shop in central York, UK.
- Advisory services added to original fuel price protection offer.
- Graduate Trainee discovers washing-up liquid and actually does the washing up.
- Portland starts selling Fuel Price Protection to fuel users (mainly Public Transit) in Canada.
- First Portland sale of Fuel Price Protection in USA.
- A hungover James Spencer tries Poutine for the first time and decides that one day, Portland must have an office in Canada.
- Portland carries out fuel procurement advisory work for Toronto Transit Commission.
- Portland Fuel Canada – headed up by Jon Rosenthal - opens office in Hamilton, Ontario.